Reports To: Accountant
Start Date: tbd
Hours: Part-time (20 hours), Days
Salary Grade: 5
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Starting range: $18-$20
Benefits Eligible: Prorated benefits: Health, dental, PTO, holidays, and 401(K) plan
Location: St. Paul
The Accounting Assistant supports the finance department working with the Accountant and the COO. This position requires excellent attention to detail, strong communication skills, and demonstrated organizational skills. Responsibilities includes a variety of accounting and administrative support for the department, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries, and filing.
Accounting Support: 60%
- Ensure all accounts payable and credit card transactions have proper receipts, approvals, and accurate G/L, Funder, Division and Project coding
- Enter data into accounting system, balance entries, and process checks
- Research and resolve payment discrepancies
- Prepare required accounting reports for accounts payable, accounts receivable, and journal entries
- Apply client payments to appropriate funder
- Ensure all accounts receivable, deposits, gift processing, and monthly transactions are entered and reconciled
Administrative Support: 25%
- Communicate with co-workers, management, and others regarding check requests, special requests, and/or pending payments
- Mail accounts payable checks
- Maintain W-9 files for all vendors
- Maintain financial records including deposit, credit card, and vendor filing system
- Provide support for audits and internal account reconciliations
- Maintain organized chart of accounts with definitions
- Assist with donor record setup, processing donations, and processing reports as needed
- Enter payroll and benefit journal entries
Other Duties: 5%
- Other accounting, reporting, and special projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Position requires a self-motivated, flexible, and optimistic individual with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle multiple concurrent projects.
- Associate or Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance, or business with accounting emphasis
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Highly detail orientated
- Strong work ethic and high quality standards
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to quickly adapt and respond to organizational needs
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Working knowledge of databases and pivot tables (Abila and Microsoft CRM experience preferred)
- Experience working with diverse populations
Efficient – Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
Results Oriented – Achieves goals in a timely manner while providing excellent service.
Thoroughness – Sees to it that one’s own and others’ work is accurate and complete. Works with diligence and care to ensure all commitments are fulfilled.
Collaborative – Acts respectfully when working with colleagues and partners to earn and build consensus.
Enthusiastic – Exhibits passion and excitement about program work. Has a positive attitude.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This is largely a sedentary role: however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary.
How To Apply
The Minnesota Humanities Center is committed to a culturally diverse work environment.
Interested candidates should email: cover letter (including salary requirements) and a resume to email@example.com. We are unable to accept telephone calls.