- This event has passed.
Transforming Education Through Absent Narratives
Tuesday, August 24–Thursday, August 26
8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. | $300
Strong relationships with caring adults can change the trajectory of a student’s success both in and outside of the classroom. Yet, too often professional development is only focused on licensed educators and leaves out educators who operate in the hallways and outside of the bounds of classroom standards. This year, MHC is excited to invite these educators—those who work in out-of-school time programs, community education, or in roles like paraprofessionals, school counselors, and more—to reimagine education at the 2021 Educator Institute.
This interactive workshop is designed to feed the whole person by providing time to reflect on the past year, renew, and dream both personally and professionally. Over the course of three days, participants will deepen their learning through the lenses of place, story, and culture. Participants will learn from diverse community members ranging from youth, other educators, university instructors, and elders about community narratives and approaches that have been marginalized or excluded from education. Participants will leave with an action statement to guide the development of enhancing their programs to spark the full potential of their diverse students.
Through culturally responsive and inclusive professional development, this Institute aims to:
- Deepen your understanding of the significance of place.
- Build cultural awareness and broaden worldviews.
- Increase your experience building relationships through Story Circles.
- Identify new ways to integrate Absent Narratives in program and curriculum design.
We will achieve this by:
- Leveraging cultural wisdom from individuals and communities
- Recognizing your front-line work during these pandemics, offering space for pause and reflection
- Supporting environments of deep learning and affirmation
- Motivating individuals to take on action within their sphere of influence.
We invite you to apply to the 2021 Educator Institute!
Preference will be given to community and out-of-school time educators participating in a team. This opportunity is also open to other educator teams working within a school setting. Applicants will be selected based on application responses and ensuring there is a diverse pool of applicants representing a wide range of roles, identities, and geographic locations.
If cost is a barrier, please contact Jessica Rust at email@example.com before registering.