The Minnesota Humanities Center is excited to share that we are seeking submissions for a new anthology project of storytelling by Somali youth.
This first-of-its kind anthology will be edited by Somali author and educator Marian Hassan and will include the authentic, first-hand stories of Minnesota’s Somali youth (ages 10-30) around ideas like: what it means to be American, coping with loss and displacement, negotiating the charged identities of being a Muslim and a third-culture person, and much more.
The anthology will serve as a necessary act of self-representation for Somali youth in a challenging time where their multiple identities are often vilified. Through stories and storytelling, these youth will take inspiration and realize the power of their voices by sharing their experiences in a variety of creative formats, collected together as a tapestry of experience.
First draft submissions are due March 30, 2018. Submissions do not need to be polished and can be submitted in a variety of written, audio, or visual formats in English or Somali. Over the course of two months, after first-round submissions, selected youth will work with experienced community storytellers and writers to edit and develop their pieces. By May 2018, selected youth will have a final, workshopped draft to submit to the editorial panel for final review and assessment. The anthology will be published at a date yet to be determined.
We are so excited to see the stories and relationships that develop from this project!
Know someone who might be interested in participating? Click below to see the full submission guidelines.
Ururin iyo Qormadda Diiwaan Sheeko-Nololeedka Dhalinta Soomaaliyeed
Nala Wadaag Nala Wadaag Tariikhdaada
Sheeko Ururintan oo ah tii igu horeysay nooceedda oo ku saabsan qoraalka marxaladda iyo taariikhda nolosha dhalinyarada Soomaaliyeed iyo nolosha
qoyskooda waxaa tifatire u ah qoraa iyo Macalim, Marian Hassan. Qoraalkan waa Diwaan gelin sheekooyin ama qoraalo noocya kala duwan oo
gabay ku jiro kuwaasoo ku saabsan:
- Marxallada waxa ay tahay Qofka Soomaaliga ah oo ku dhashay ama ku nool Maraykanka.
- Is-qaabilsiinta qof muslin ah oo ku dhex-nool dhaqamo kala duwan.
- Fahamka iyo ka soo kabashada khasaarahii dhibka dagaalka sokeeye ee Soomaaliya iyo mushkiladdaha uu hayaanku ama
Soo dirida sheekooyinka oo waqfi lagu daray:
Jimce, Maarso 30
- Dhalinta Minnesota deggan da’dooduna u dhexayso10-30 sanno ayaa ka qayb geli kara
- Waxaa lagu soo gudbin karaa qoraalka Soomaali ama Ingiriis
- Soo dir sheeko dhab ah, murti iyo qoraal noocya kala duwan ah sidda gabayga, amaba qoraal aad horay u daabacday oo asna la aqbalayo.